Rosalind Erwin, Director & Conductor
Philadelphia Young Artists Orchestra prepares students through a sophisticated repertoire and rigorous intellectual and musical discipline. PYAO further provides the opportunity to work with a highly experienced professional conductor, musicians, and teachers; to rehearse a standard orchestral repertoire at a professional level; and to perform in high-profile professional venues throughout the greater Philadelphia region.
Philadelphia Young Artists Orchestra (PYAO) offers:
- Orchestral training for technically advanced students with an emphasis on the development of musicianship and high-level large-ensemble orchestral performance skills.
- The opportunity to work with a professional and highly experienced conductor.
- A higher level of preparedness through rigorous intellectual and musical discipline, which nurtures growth as both a musician and a person.
- The opportunity to rehearse and perform standard orchestral repertoire at a professional level.
- A more sophisticated repertoire in comparison to other organizations’ feeder orchestras.
- The opportunity to work in sectional/master class settings with expert teachers and musicians from the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, and other exceptionally qualified professionals.
- The opportunity to perform with other youth musical organizations, including Upper Darby High School Encore Singers and Chorale, and Bravo Brass.
- Collaboration among PYO, PYAO, and PRYSM students, including wind/brass/percussion assistance, String Mentors @ PRYSM, and more.
- The opportunity for advanced students to audition for solo work with their colleagues in a public performance at the First Annual Concerto Competition, and to be adjudicated by the highest level of professional musicians from the Philadelphia area.
- Regularly scheduled performances in professional venues, including the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater and Verizon Hall, and the Upper Darby Performing Arts Center.
- A platform for students to enhance and supplement their collegiate and conservatory applications, as most PYAO students are strong candidates nationally and are accepted into the most prestigious universities and conservatories around the world.
- Development of self-esteem, self-confidence, and good citizenship.
- Exposure/access to the wealth of culture in Philadelphia.
2016 - 2017 Season Repertoire
Symphony No. 5
“Polovtsian Dances” from Prince Igor
“Nuages” and “Fêtes” from Nocturnes
Symphony No. 8
An American in Paris
Overture to a Farce
Cello Concerto No. 1
“The Moldau” from Má Vlast
Overture to Die Fledermaus
Excerpts from The Nutcracker Suite
Overture to Rienzi